A Brief History of Orsch, the Wonderful School

This is a brief history meant to button up the story. The purpose of this post is to offer a summary of the unfortunate ending of Orsch. It may offer too much detail to the general reader, but is a healing post for me and hopefully for those who lost their school to an unwarranted, unfortunate attack in a small town.

Orsch opened in September, 2009. It thrived in the basement of Webster Hall for two years, more than doubled in size, and needed more space. Orsch move to the upstairs of the Arts Center in 2011. It thrived there for another three years. The Art Center was in need of more space, and asked us to vacate after the 2013-2014 school year. At this time we had twelve amazing teachers, seventy-eight wonderful students and a thriving philosophy. After many failed attempts to find a suitable building for 80 plus students in or around Gunnison, we almost folded. We were homeless, and having survived on a shoestring budget for its entire life, Orsch was also penniless.

A large group of parents and community members urged us forward. At a time when it seemed no options were left for us, a contingent of parents insisted on paying more tuition than was required, to keep Orsch alive and searching for a suitable home. My husband Ashley and I borrowed money from both of our parents to buy a building half the size we needed. We borrowed more money to build an addition which we finished in record-time, the weekend before school started on September 4, 2014. Thank you Chris Klein and Klein Construction! The building was beautiful and we finally had somewhere to call home.

Most of the school year was a dream come true. We had classrooms and space to run and play. Our school was thriving and continued to develop and grow.

But then the very last day of April happened. Kids are kids. Generally the grown ups in charge are allowed to guide them and to make sure their lessons are learned and that those lessons do not devastate their lives. April 30, 2015 a very minor childish incident occurred. Parents and teachers worked together in the best interests of the children. Lessons were learned and good conversations among families were had…but then it took a turn.

Health and Human Services, with help from a misguided detective, decided to intervene. They decided to devastate rather than guide. Against the preference of all parents involved, they decided to launch an unfair and ridiculous attack on me, on another teacher, and on our entire student body, one student at a time. The basis of the assault on the teachers: Failure to Report Child Abuse. However, they had no child abuse, so they set about manufacturing it. Their attempt to manufacture it was the basis of the assault on our students.

They damaged children. They damaged families. They damaged friends of children. They destroyed a school, and they did their very best to put me in jail. One misdemeanor charge of “Failure to Report Child Abuse” was not enough. Three months after April 30th and two weeks after I made the painful decision to close Orsch, they would charge me with five additional misdemeanors, and a felony. It was personal. I don’t know why I was their target. I don’t know why they felt dragging families and an entire community into the mud was a good way to spend their resources. I remained steady in my innocence, as did our other teacher under attack and all of the families that were dragged through the mud. In addition, all of the families involved in the attack were devastated right along with me and my family and our school. In the weekly newspaper, letters of support were published simultaneously with articles about the case. I was instructed by our attorneys to say nothing, so I had no ability to defend myself publicly.

During that summer, the Orsch community stood strong. They attended meetings, pleaded with the powers that be, wrote letters, spoke their minds in phone calls and emails. The broader community stood behind me too. I read their letters in the paper with deep gratitude, and hope that they would make a difference. I received countless emails and cards in the mail–some people stating that they wished to support me privately. I will never be able to adequately thank all those who stood up for me and offered support. Thank you. I believe you actually did make a difference in the scheme of things. However, despite the overwhelming support for me, for our students, for our small school community, the prosecution was not swayed. They continued their mission.

During those painful months, I found myself depressed, scared, and hiding. My children did the grocery shopping. I did my best to not be seen. I cried non-stop. I researched and poured through case documents, my insides raw from churning and fear. I lost fourteen pounds. I was immersed in fear and in what ifs and in loss.

The summary I am about to offer makes it seem like it was a quick process, but it was not. This process took nine months. Nine months in which I had no faith in my justice system. No faith that I was protected by the law. No sense of security. No idea what my fate was. Scared to death. If I could be charged based on nonsense, why couldn’t I also be convicted based on nonsense? In a small town in which unwarranted certitude can run wild, with my life in the hands of three women who had nothing but hate for me, women who were not adequately overseen by their supervisors, I was not safe and I knew it. Trial was set for January 17th, 2016, and was estimated to take up to three weeks. There would have been no conceivable way to run a school in the midst of this case. Every moment of every day I was awash in fear that these children would be further damaged by Health and Human Services or the prosecution–their lives already turned upside down by this entire episode. The year of hell.

Finally, some milestone events happened in the case. A brave father secretly recorded an interview  HHS insisted upon with an Orsch student. This recording was a key factor in the immediate firing of the HHS Caseworker. Then, our expensive lawyers from Denver were able to outline the case for exactly what it was–nonsense– and demanded that the prosecution offer some semblance of reasonable cause via discovery, which they could not produce. The prosecution had spent eight months attempting to prove there was some sort of child abuse that should have been reported; they could not. And following their felony charge in August, they spent resources trying to prove I had tampered with a witness whom I had not seen or spoken with since May. In their struggle to continue prosecuting nonsense and produce the requested discovery, the prosecution finally sought advice from their supervising office. The Seventh Judicial District DA dismissed the case the afternoon it landed on his desk, with a statement to my lawyers, “Why the f*&# did this take so long, and why the f*%& was she ever charged?” I will never forget those words.

On January 4, 2016 the case was dismissed with prejudice in a dismissal the likes of which apparently the courts had never seen. It was as close to an apology as it gets without opening themselves up to obvious liability. I will share an excerpt from the official dismissal because it says it all, “The matter is not tried by speculation, rumor and innuendo…After a thorough investigation and review by several prosecutors, the evidence in this case shows that, at best, the information of possible abuse or neglect was based on an unsubstantiated rumor.”

That’s the whole story.

We have built a new life in the city. I have been working in a completely different industry since we moved four months after the dismissal. I’m feeling brave and whole again. I miss Orsch painfully. I miss our students and our teachers and all of the beautiful moments that happened there every day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: